Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Correlation between RQ Size and Processing Time
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Correlation between RQ Size and Processing Time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correlation between RQ Size and Processing Time
    Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:38pm
I am starting this thread to get a sense of whether there is any correlation between the size of the RQ response and how long it takes CIC to process and review the RQ.

I have a feeling that the bigger the RQ response is, the longer it takes CIC to review the file just because they may regard reviewing documentation as a painful task and therefore try to postpone that exercise as much as possible.

This is merely a theory and may be completely unfounded and wrong, but I still want to collect some statistics around this to draw a correlation if one exists. The RQ forms asks for lots of documentation, and I am assuming families with kids may end up sending quite a bit of documents as requested by the form.

Ideally, your response would be something like the following:

Size: 100 Pages Processing: 12 months (when it took 12 months to review the RQ)
OR
Size: 200 Pages Processing: Sep 2012 (when RQ was submitted in September 2012 and still hasn't been reviewed)
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process
Vancan2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:39pm
Starting with mine:

Size: 300 pages Processing: Apr 2013
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Vancan2012 Vancan2012 wrote:

Starting with mine:

Size: 300 pages Processing: Apr 2013
I can't remeber how many pages were sent, but the weight was 8lbsBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:46pm
It would be helpful to include whether the RQ was reviewed and how long it took.

In your case, you can put the weight instead of the number of pages and follow the format. Thanks.
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:49pm

It would be helpful to include whether the RQ was reviewed and how long it took.

In your case, you can put the weight instead of the number of pages and follow the format. Thanks.

is this  correct? do you need date the processing RQ or the file itself?

size 8lbs / file processing Dec, 2010/RQ in process March 2011/total for Rq processing 30months / total from the date applied - 46 months

Edited by greeny - 24 Sep 2013 at 2:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:53pm
Thank you. Total for RQ processing only as I am trying to assess how likely is the size of the RQ response to delay one's RQ review.
greeny View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 2:55pm

size 8lbs : RQ in process March 2011/30months/

SARABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SARABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 8:21pm
Size: +600Pages submitted December 24,2012
Test: September 2013
Conclusion:?

Edited by SARABC - 24 Sep 2013 at 8:33pm
Applied Feb7th,2012 (Family of 4)
In Process Oct4th,2012
Husband RQ & finger print November 2012
File separated from husband August 2013
Hubby test Oct. 2013
MY test Dec. 2013
Joint oath March 2014

akella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 10:12pm

I am starting this thread to get a sense of whether there is any correlation between the size of the RQ response and how long it takes CIC to process and review the RQ.

I have a feeling that the bigger the RQ response is, the longer it takes CIC to review the file just because they may regard reviewing documentation as a painful task and therefore try to postpone that exercise as much as possible.

Hi Vancan2012, I feel like you need to add one more metric:
  • Correlation between the size of the RQ response and the end result: referred to hearing or not

This might be a tricky one ;)

And seriously - based on my personal observations of the changes in my GCMS printout and their RQ labeling (in St.Clair: location: "Residence assessment shelf >1094 MONTH 2012", description: "2012 MONTH - RQ-CPCS), I conclude that there may be a bit of personal factor, but only within one batch assigned to the officer. In other words, if s/he has been assigned 50 files to review (whether from a specific month, or based on some other factor), s/he will have to complete them prior to getting the next batch.

And size/weight of the file is nowhere in electronic records, so the person doing file assignments (likely a team supervisor) has no visibility into it and will be assigning files based on whatever order system they are using.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 2:37am

I am fairly sure that the quality of the RQ submission, in conjunction with the quality of the applicant's case, will have a far more substantial impact on how long it takes for an applicant's case to make its way through the system. Number of pages is irrelevant, really; what is on those pages is far more relevant. Moreover, what concerns or questions are at stake will also have a larger impact on how it goes than how many pages of credit card transactions an applicant submits.

I also agree with akella's observation that the more significant question is about who gets to be scheduled for the oath versus who waits for a hearing with the Citizenship Judge. However long RQ cases are taking in any given local office, the latter, the cases going to a hearing, will take a lot, lot longer than those which proceed to the oath. That is the fulcrum that matters: does the response to RQ convince CIC sufficiently to make a paper-review referral rather than a hearing referral?

Given that actual merit, and the quality of documentation submitted, will most likely have a far greater impact on how things go than how many pages of documents were submitted, whatever sample of reports a forum like this could elicit will offer little or no insight into whether longer submissions have a good, bad, or neutral impact.   

Caveat; the longer observation:

I have not received RQ yet, let alone responded, so I have no direct experience with how it goes.

My views about how to respond to RQ are discussed at length in the topic about responding to RQ. I have made it clear I think that less is more, subject, however, to the caveat that for some, more is better (perhaps necessary), and that ultimately how much to submit is a personal decision, dependent on the particulars in the individual's case.

I suppose the best way to say this is to say that the stronger the applicant's case is, the less documentation the applicant needs to submit in support of it; the weaker the case, the more incentive there is to include more.

Another way of looking at that, however, is to infer that the applicant who submits kilos of documents is making up for some issues, some concerns, some gaps, and so that applicant might very well expect a much longer timeline while CIC initiates and waits for the results of this or that inquiry or investigation.

That is, there may very well be a correlation between large submissions and longer timelines. But that correlation is more about the merits and less about how many pages of documents are submitted.

And, of course, this would be a rather unreliable correlation, since out of what an applicant thinks is caution, he or she might submit an extra-large, even excessive submission of documents even though in fact he or she has a solid case for which there really should be no doubts or concerns at all.

At the other end of the table, there are many indications (ranging from references in judicial opinions as well as to suggestions in CIC internal communications) that there is no shortage of applicants who fail to submit much documentation at all. The anticipated CIC inference is obvious: such applicants do not have documentation because they were not really living in Canada (or at least not so much as they have reported). I dont' think there is any rush to a hearing for such applicants, so far as I can discern, and actually many of these applicants seem to be stuck on an extra-long timeline. So there may be a correlation between very slight responses and a longer timeline.

Bottom-line: how many pages of documents submitted probably does not bear directly on how strong the case really is, and the latter is more likely to affect how long that applicant's case takes.

I realize the focus for this inquiry, about a possible correlation between RQ response size and RQ review time, is focused on the more specific timeline, the time it takes CIC to "review" a RQ submission, and I am referring, instead, to overall timelines. This is intentional. I doubt that applicants can reliably discern how long it took CIC to "review" their RQ submission. For some there may be a relatively close approximation if there is a clear progression of the file from RQ response received to being scheduled for the test, but for many others the prospect of collateral steps (inquiries, investigations), having an impact on how long it is between the RQ submission and the next-step, looms large.

Moreover, I agree with akella's observation, which in my view is about files going into queue and being processed in order, no sorting in advance. How many officers are doing the RQ review for how many RQ'd applicants in that local office is likely to be a more dominant factor in how long it takes to review the RQ submission.

Additionally, my sense is that when a file is picked-up/opened, it is processed, however long that takes, subject to a variety of outcomes, some of which are to make inquiries or referrals for investigation. How long a particular applicant's case takes, then, is determined by whether the outcome of that process (which for pre-test RQ'd applicants, I believe is the pre-interview check) is to schedule the test or to put it in another queue for a different process, inquiry, referral.

The other aspect of akella's observations, about whether there is a correlation between the size of the RQ submission and whether the case is referred for a CJ hearing, highlights, in my view, what is important: how well the documentation supports the applicant's declarations of residency. Is it convincing?

That will almost certainly be a far more relevant factor in who is referred for a hearing, who is not.

No one at CIC will be counting pages, not for the purpose of assessing the submission anyway. More pages will not necessarily correspond to more proof.

Sure, the obviously excessive submission may be problematic, particularly if there is in fact an outstanding concern about the applicant's residency qualification.

Sure, the obviously lacking submission will be problematic.

Bottom-line: I tend to think that size does not much matter. (Which, some might think, is the opposite of my wife's perspective.)

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic