Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Automated Border Clearance Toronto Airport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smalik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automated Border Clearance Toronto Airport
    Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 10:02pm

What is the implication for citizenship applications with the new Automated Border Clearance system, where there is no entry Stamp on passport for Canadian Permanent Residents.

With no entry stamps in passports won’t this complicate travel verification at the time of Citizenship Test.

I applied for my wife’s citizenship in May 2013 and we went on short vacation and when we can back to Canada we were surprised by the new automated system. This is the first time she won’t have a entry stamp on her passport. Luckily, this is after we submitted her application. However, we still don’t want CIC thinking that we left Canada after submitting application. I have kept my boarding pass and ticket as proof, hopefully this should be enough proof?

I know that CIC now asks for consent for CBSA travel history, but does the officer interviewing at the Citizenship test have Entries into Canada information/Dates in front of them to verify?

s malik

smalik
Pureminded View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pureminded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 4:05am
It's been ages since this system has been in use @ YVR, myself since I first landed I've been using it and when you're asked to scan your PR card the entry date gets automatically recorded on CBSA's database, so I don't see any sort of implications.
eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by smalik smalik wrote:

What is the implication for citizenship applications with the new Automated Border Clearance system, where there is no entry Stamp on passport for Canadian Permanent Residents.

With no entry stamps in passports won’t this complicate travel verification at the time of Citizenship Test.

I applied for my wife’s citizenship in May 2013 and we went on short vacation and when we can back to Canada we were surprised by the new automated system. This is the first time she won’t have a entry stamp on her passport. Luckily, this is after we submitted her application. However, we still don’t want CIC thinking that we left Canada after submitting application. I have kept my boarding pass and ticket as proof, hopefully this should be enough proof?

I know that CIC now asks for consent for CBSA travel history, but does the officer interviewing at the Citizenship test have Entries into Canada information/Dates in front of them to verify?

s malik

As an immigrant from the USA, I have only had my passport stamped (approx.) 6 times during 30+ trips over the course of a decade. CIC procedures should account for the typical practices of the CBSA.

But I'm sure most of us have experience with the CIC not understanding the typical practices of other agencies.

Personally, a border guard disposed of (shredded) my old work visa before I could stop them when I renewed it for a new one. Years later the RQ demanded a colour copy of all old visas (I only had a faded black and white). Also, my Confirmation of Permanent Residence has no "original entry date" noted on it, though I came to Canada 4 years before I landed as a PR. This may have been an RQ trigger.

But I choose not to worry about these aspects of the citizenship process, because they are not paying me to worry about it, and I can't do anything about it. There are any number of well paid CIC executive-level employees who should be gaming this sort of thing out as opposed to just implementing draconian staffing cuts, workload increases and policy changes without the structures to support these changes.

Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 12:29pm

Reminder: there is no indication that CIC relies on any source of information as a definitive accounting of all entries into Canada, or all exits from Canada.

While CBSA POE practices have increasingly been capturing information regarding all persons entering Canada, such that the CBSA travel history is increasingly a more complete record for most persons returning to Canada, it is my strong sense that CIC will not rely on such records to be complete.

CIC never relied on passport stamps to constitute a complete accounting of all cross-border events.

CIC primarily examines such sources of information, such records, to compare with what the applicant has declared, or with other sources, to identify inconsistencies or incongruities, mostly looking for red flags. That is, their approach is not to look at such information/documents/records in order to prove dates of entry into Canada, so much as they are looking for proof the applicant failed to either accurately or completely report all travel.

Producing all passports and other travel documents at all relevant is, of course, one of the most important submission of documentation the RQ'd applicant needs to do. But applicants should not be confused about what CIC is looking for in those documents: it is about verification, not about buidling stand-alone proof.

The stand-alone proof burden is on the applicant. CIC mostly wants to see all potentially relevant documentation and information so that it can compare it to the applicant's declarations, so that CIC can more thoroughly assess the veracity of what the applicant has declared.

Another important reminder: The subtext of this is very important, and overlooked by many, even though I (among others) have highlighted this often: proof of actual presence more than 1095 days does not make the case if CIC finds evidence the applicant failed to declare all absences. While I do not think that minor errors in reporting travel are problematic, if and when CIC identifies a material discrepancy, what CIC perceives to be a material discrepancy, in the reporting of travel outside Canada, that is a big problem for the applicant no matter how many days of actual presence the applicant has otherwise documented.

I realize this last observation may appear to be beyond the scope of this topic, but it is the real crux of what underlies CIC's examination relative to the residency obligation declarations, passport stamps, other travel documents, and CBSA travel history.

Yes, in the past the so-called missing stamp loomed often in the RQ context, and in the issuance of RQ following the documents check at the test/interview event. During the years we discussed, here, the missing stamp concern, it was often overlooked that the mere absence of a stamp for an entry into Canada was not the issue (for a long time PRs from visa exempt countries, travel to Canada from a visa-exempt country, often did not have their passports stamped -- and for land crossings, many PRs did not even present any ID at the border -- for me, I did not have to present ID when entering Canada by land for more than a year after I landed as a PR); the issue was whether or not an expected stamp was missing, indicating the potential use of an alternative travel document. What many failed to grasp was that even the absence of stamps reflecting transit from one country to another, where expected by CIC, could draw attention and raise questions or concerns, and again, the concern was rooted in the possibility the individual had alternative travel documents not fully disclosed to CIC.

In this regard, while some here deny this, actually CIC personnel are usually very familiar with a great deal of information about the practices of not only other government agencies (like CBSA) but also with border control officials in other countries. Not perfectly of course. But enough so that they could screen for these things. And, again, since the screening is not about building a case on behalf of the applicant, but rather about looking for discrepancies, inconsistencies, or anomalies, this tends to largely (but not perfectly) suit CIC's objectives in examining this information.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic