Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Residence Template Suggestion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Residence Template Suggestion
    Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 1:48pm
Ok... first I need to emphasize this loud and clear -
I'M NOT HERE TO MAKE AN ISSUE ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING...
there are enough very knowledgeable people here ... and there is a huge discussion about the RQ which covers a large number of bases. That said, I'm wondering if for future Canadian Immigrants, would it work if they used some sort of document like this -

Easyrider, Depanabill could you please weigh in?
Can this be used as a valid document? Can it help future applicants?
Some day we will/may get out of this but can this be used by future immigrants to help them?
Name :                                                     CIC Client ID # :                                       Status :
Date
Status Card Verified and Matched (Yes/No)
City, Province
Police Station
Officer’s Name
Officer’s Number

Oneday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 1:56pm
I wish I had something like this .....  in hindsight :(
coldnomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldnomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 3:55pm
Unless you plan on doing this every single day, including weekends and public holidays, you will still have unaccounted days.

Everything is already in place to completely verify physical presence in the country. Airlines have data on passengers leaving the country, verified by passenger's travel documents with photo IDs. US CBP has data on passengers leaving the country by land, verified by travel documents again. There are no other ways to leave Canada, other than marginal means like cruise ships, who also collect travel document information, or illegal border crossing, which really should be US CBP's problem more than CIC's.

All you need is aggregate those data in one place. It's a purely technical issue, which can be solved within a reasonable timeframe and reasonable means.

Everything else, including what CIC is doing currently, is pure circus.

Edited by coldnomad - 06 Apr 2013 at 4:00pm
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 4:05pm
Not really practical or useful.

There is a great deal of misunderstanding about proving residency (much of it part of a concerted effort to distort, confuse, mislead). The applicant's overall credibility weighs far, far more than proof of presence on particular days.

Sure, objective proof is objective proof. Hire a lawyer and meet with the lawyer once a week for four years, and all that lawyer has to do is submit an affidavit, a letter even, and that will carry a lot of weight. It can still be controverted by other evidence, if there is other evidence. Because of that, the most convincing proof will not necessarily save an applicant from the long-haul version of RQ destined for a hearing with a Citizenship Judge. If CIC perceives credibility concerns, and the RQ does not satisfy CIC that there is no reason to have such credibility concerns, the odds are high the applicant will be in queue for the long-haul version of RQ . . . NO MATTER how strong the proof is of actual presence for 1095+ days. The latter, that strong proof, is for the Citizenship Judge to examine and assess and make a determination. CIC's job (if there are credibility concerns) is mostly to marshal/organize the evidence, assess its credibility, and refer the case to the CJ.

Applicants whose case is not convincing based on the submission of the information attendant the RQ form plus all travel documents plus the KEY documentation (direct, objective documentation of employment and place of residence for the full four years) should at least consult with a lawyer, not a consultant, a lawyer.

(Other alternative: stagger doctor's appointments, dentist appointments, meeting with lawyer, meeting with accountant, so there is a meeting three or more times each month. Again, letters from professionals plus record of use of health care services like this would be very, very strong proof . . . outcome of case almost certain, barring of course indications the applicant was manipulating things and possibly leaving Canada in-between, that is barring substantive credibility issues . . . but any such applicant is very, very unlikely to need such proof in the first place. The outcome is rarely a close call, and even when it is a close call it is, again, credibility issues that tend to tip the scales one way or the other.)

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
Oneday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oneday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 10:40pm
@ depanabill -
Fair enough...
I see your point.
In my case I landed up moving provinces after the '1095 days' qualifying period. While leaving, I landed up shredding a lot of papers to prevent transportation costs :(  [never imagining that I would need to justify my presence here]
For my situation, I feel that having something like this and getting it stamped every so often could have helped strengthening the RQ specially since I lived a stones throw next to the police station.

I agree, I have now started taking appointments with doctors for every little thing and sometimes even just for a general check-up to make sure I have a solid trail. Unfortunately my conscience does pinch me when I see people in the queue who really need the medical attention and I, and others like me, are there for 'other' reasons.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 11:14pm

Originally posted by Ineday Ineday wrote:

I agree, I have now started taking appointments with doctors for every little thing and sometimes even just for a general check-up to make sure I have a solid trail. Unfortunately my conscience does pinch me when I see people in the queue who really need the medical attention and I, and others like me, are there for 'other' reasons.

I was NOT suggesting this. Really. The point was that all that proof is not going to help much if there are credibility concerns. And it is not necessary if there are not credibility concerns.

This is not a poker game. There is no hedging one's bets.

Again, the essential, key documentation should relatively easily make the case for a qualified applicant. Really.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic