Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Landing Question about goods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skytra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Landing Question about goods
    Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 3:35pm
Hi

I am due to land soon in Canada and i have a question about the list that I am currently required to complete about my possessions that I am bringing into the country with me and after I land.

AT the moment I have covered obvious consumer items.  but now I am wondering if they want me to detail things like clothes (including underwear and the like... :))  

I also have little trinkets and sentimental, miscellaneous toiletries items do those things need writing down too with the value?

also what value are they looking for, is it the price the item was originally bought for or the used (ebay) value?

advance thanks

Edited by skytra7 - 29 Mar 2013 at 3:39pm
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 4:20pm
They don't need items such as underwear, etc.
They're concerned with jewellery, etc worth a lot of money.
Check forms B4 and B4A on CBSA website for details.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 5:45pm
Many ordinary items can be identified in bulk, and a general value given.

The value part is incredibly vague. As canvis2006 suggests, the important items to give specific value for are high-end items.

Again, you can group most things (clothing, incidentals, even most household items other than big ones, like a refrigerator if you were to be bringing in appliances for example) and give the entire group a very rough guess-estimate of value. For example, I listed "outdoor sporting equipment" and that covered a lot of things, from hiking boots to tents and camping gear, skiis to snorkeling gear, and so on, and while I do not recall the value I gave it, I probably guessed somewhere around a tenth or a half of what it cost. And yeah, that is a big range. If you are in the ballpark, that's fine.

On the other hand, for my car, which I imported when I landed, the paperwork was far more extensive, including as to value. Got to get an item like that more or less in a real world value range.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 5:57pm
To be clear: for all my clothing, that's all I described it as: "personal clothing" and I did not give the total much value at all. There are no consequences relative to the value, but they insist on a value being entered for each itemized thing, a "thing" in this context being, possibly, a whole collection of "personal clothing."

Example:
item: personal clothing
value: $200 Canadian

(Which, btw, probably cost several thousands if I was to add it all up, years and years worth of clothing.)

Note: if I had a particularly expensive gown (which being a dull sort of guy is not likely) or minks or something, I would probably list those separately, and value them separately, within some range of the ballpark (no need to be so close as the ballpark's parking lot for example). But, I didn't. I had suits and work clothes and casual clothes and winter coats, and I listed it all as "personal clothing."
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 6:01pm
Sorry about the multiple posts (I do not have edit privileges here like most do), but there is something that needs to be clarified:

The more important form is the goods to follow form, if you plan to wait and bring any of your possessions to Canada later. While here too, general descriptions and imprecise values is OK, this is where you want to be sure to have any high end items covered. You do not want to run into questions about owing duty or taxes on these items when you do get to bring them into Canada later.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic