Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions regarding employment history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakeferna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions regarding employment history
    Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 1:12am
Hi,

I was filling out the employment history section on citizenship application form when a question came up. I had two jobs in the past four years. And there was a one month gap between the two jobs.

Job 1 ended on March 15, 2011, while Job 2 started on April 16, 2011. So when I fill out this section, should I just simply put something like this:

From                  To                  Description 
2011-April        time 2                 Job 2
time 1              2011-March         Job 1

or

From                  To                  Description 
2011-April        time 2                 Job 2
2011-March      2011-April           unemployed
time 1              2011-March         Job 1

I guess my question really is whether or not I should put this one-month gap in this section. The application instruction says that we need to account for each month, but not each day for this particular section. So please enlighten me with your thoughts.

Thanks.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 2:46am
Just my thoughts: no need to overthink this.

Last I looked, the job history called for year and month, and if every month is included, it is included. Your first example does that, showing what employment you had up to March 2001, and what employment you had beginning April 2011.

And there is a good reason to avoid putting "unemployed" in the work history if you can do so honestly (which it looks to me like you can, at least for that March-April 2011 span): it is a risk indicator that may trigger RQ** (probably likely to trigger RQ - we just do not know what adjustments have been made to how the risk indicators are applied).

Notes:
**Technically the risk indicator is any declaration of unemployment plus any reported travel outside Canada during the relevant four years; practically speaking this covers almost everyone who declares a period of unemployment. When first implemented this was, it appears, definitely mechanically applied, so any report of being unemployed triggered RQ. CIC has made adjustments but we do not know what they are, so we do not know to what extent this is still a mechanically applied risk indicator.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
drakeferna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakeferna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 3:06am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Just my thoughts: no need to overthink this.

Last I looked, the job history called for year and month, and if every month is included, it is included. Your first example does that, showing what employment you had up to March 2001, and what employment you had beginning April 2011.

And there is a good reason to avoid putting "unemployed" in the work history if you can do so honestly (which it looks to me like you can, at least for that March-April 2011 span): it is a risk indicator that may trigger RQ** (probably likely to trigger RQ - we just do not know what adjustments have been made to how the risk indicators are applied).

Notes:
**Technically the risk indicator is any declaration of unemployment plus any reported travel outside Canada during the relevant four years; practically speaking this covers almost everyone who declares a period of unemployment. When first implemented this was, it appears, definitely mechanically applied, so any report of being unemployed triggered RQ. CIC has made adjustments but we do not know what they are, so we do not know to what extent this is still a mechanically applied risk indicator.

Hi dpenabill,

Thanks for your reply. Is it of certitude that cic has adjusted their criteria for issuing RQs? I am just a little curious about how we got this information. I guess it doesn't really matter. It is what it is. 

Speaking of risk indicators, do you think that having lots of addresses (6 in total in the past 4 years) would likely trigger the issuance of RQ, from what you know and have seen so far? 

Say, if worse comes to worst, I got RQ'd. Another concern for me would be whether or not I should get supporting materials from the third country where I worked and lived for a period of time during the 4-year period.

Thanks again.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 5:22am
Perhaps it is not certain that CIC has made substantive adjustments to how the specific risk indicators are applied, but it is very likely that they have (they planned to last fall). We just do not have much information at all about what adjustments they made. CIC holds their cards very close to the vest, so to say, very reluctant to publicly disclose RQ related decision-making practices.

We were fortunate that a participant here shared a copy of the File Requirements Checklist, obtained with an ATIP request, which includes the specific "risk indicators" identified for the level one screening in Sydney. Additionally, some of the risk indicators are also the subject in a variety of internal CIC communications obtained and shared here by others (akella has, in particular shared a lot of internal CIC information obtained by ATI requests).

We know just about enough to be aware how much in the dark we are.

Beyond that, as your question alludes, we can infer there are many factors which are not formal, checklist criteria but which can influence the decision about whether or not to issue RQ. Your question, for example, might fall under the risk indicator of "suspicious residence." That said, I have no idea if having moved often is a factor at all, let alone how much of one if it is. People do move. And new immgrants in particular tend to move around some until they get settled. So it should not be too significant of a factor. Context, overall circumstances, probably matter in this regard.

Bottom-line: there are too many angles to try to figure them all out, to get too caught up in trying to insure against the prospect of RQ; mostly just be sure you meet the qualifications, that your actual physical presence is comfortably more than 1095 days in the relevant four years, and be as accurate and complete in the application as possible (in particular, get the declarations of absences as close to perfectly right as you can). We are who we are, and being real people, that tends to include some warts and wrinkles and complex life-stories and varied life-styles, so we go into the process carrying the baggage of who we are and that's the best we can do.

I do not know to what extent you would need to document reported work abroad, if given RQ. Technically the RQ asks for documentation covering the four years, but I would not worry about not submitting document to prove work abroad. I mean, if you fail to prove you were working outside Canada that is not going to diminish your case. But, sure, it is a good idea to be maintaining good records overall about work, addresses, and travel.   
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

drakeferna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakeferna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 4:43pm
Hi dpenabill,

So I just got off the phone with the call centre agent. According to him, I did not have to declare this "transitional period of tme" between jobs. Phew!

Thanks.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 5:20pm
It is always appreciated when someone does not rely on what I (or anyone else here) posts, and makes an effort to confirm the information for himself or herself through other (hopefully reliable) sources.

And, reporting back here about what was learned is also very much appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic