Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inland spouse application - work permit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland spouse application - work permit
    Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 4:46pm
I'm need of some help from the pros on here.
Just received a letter stating AIP confirmation and that I may now apply for an open work permit, my problem is that I'm technically out of status as we didn't know that it had to be extended after we applied for PR. Where do I go from here?
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 11:53pm
Had you applied at the same time, you would have remained in status. 

At the present time, you need to apply for a status document - a work permit is sufficient.  Since you have AIP you will receive an open work permit and you will be back in status.

That's one advantage of the inland process: you can apply even when out of status.  The AIP step gives you the ability to return to status.

Good luck!

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
JT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 1:01am
Thanks for that...does it matter that im more than 90 days out of status? and is it the IMM 5710 that I need to fill out for the OWP? 

Edited by JT - 11 Jan 2013 at 7:02pm
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:14pm
I know people who are a couple of years out of status.  The public policy is that an out-of-status spouse may be sponsored.  But realize you are treading on good graces here and CBSA will not hesitate to remove you should you get into trouble.  As long as you stay out of trouble, you shouldn't have any problems.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic