Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joint vs separate citizenship applications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool_alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joint vs separate citizenship applications
    Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 4:43pm
Need your help with deciding whether my wife, son, and I are better off applying for citizenship together or separately. My assumptions/considerations are:

1) Unlike them, I did a lot more trips outside of Canada in the last 3 years and if I am right with my assumptions, it makes me a suspect for a residency questionnaire. In that case I will be facing an extra delay, but will it also affect their processing times?

2) On the other hand, CIC may have a strong preference for the family members applying together and I think I may have seen something along those lines on some of the threads here. True or false?

Appreciate your sharing knowledge and experience!
SARABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SARABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 5:41pm
Hi there,
My husband, two kids & I applied together Feb.2012. My husband had three trips each one was a week long to Europe while me and the kids have never left Canada since landing. 
Unfortunately my husband got RQd in Nov.2012 and I am seriously considering splitting our applications as wait times seem crazy.
If I were given the chance to reapply today I would definitely apply separately.

Cheers,

Sarah 

Originally posted by cool_alex cool_alex wrote:

Need your help with deciding whether my wife, son, and I are better off applying for citizenship together or separately. My assumptions/considerations are:

1) Unlike them, I did a lot more trips outside of Canada in the last 3 years and if I am right with my assumptions, it makes me a suspect for a residency questionnaire. In that case I will be facing an extra delay, but will it also affect their processing times?

2) On the other hand, CIC may have a strong preference for the family members applying together and I think I may have seen something along those lines on some of the threads here. True or false?

Edited by SARABC - 07 Jan 2013 at 5:42pm
Applied Feb7th,2012 (Family of 4)
In Process Oct4th,2012
Husband RQ & finger print November 2012
File separated from husband August 2013
Hubby test Oct. 2013
MY test Dec. 2013
Joint oath March 2014

cool_alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool_alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by SARABC SARABC wrote:

Hi there,
My husband, two kids & I applied together Feb.2012. My husband had three trips each one was a week long to Europe while me and the kids have never left Canada since landing. 
Unfortunately my husband got RQd in Nov.2012 and I am seriously considering splitting our applications as wait times seem crazy.
If I were given the chance to reapply today I would definitely apply separately.

Cheers,

Sarah 

Thanks for sharing your story, much appreciated! So it is possible to split the applications after submission?

More importantly: was RQ sent to your husband only, or to all 4 of you?
Vancan2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2013 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by SARABC SARABC wrote:

Hi there,

Cheers,

Sarah 

Thanks for sharing your story, much appreciated! So it is possible to split the applications after submission?

Someone mentioned doing that recently but not exactly sure if it's a simple process or yet another absurd one. I would call CIC and find out what's involved if I were you.

Edited by Vancan2012 - 07 Jan 2013 at 9:31pm
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process
SARABC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SARABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 1:20am
  Hi,
The RQ was sent for my husband only.
I have called cic and they advised me to write a letter to my local office to request splitting the application.He told me that I have to give reasons for the request and it is up to the officer to consider it.

Sarah

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
Applied Feb7th,2012 (Family of 4)
In Process Oct4th,2012
Husband RQ & finger print November 2012
File separated from husband August 2013
Hubby test Oct. 2013
MY test Dec. 2013
Joint oath March 2014

SK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 1:27am

Apply separately........there is no harm....neither today nor later...that is my advice...if they need they will anyways track the family on primary applicant..
cool_alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool_alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by SK SK wrote:

Apply separately........there is no harm....neither today nor later...that is my advice...if they need they will anyways track the family on primary applicant..

Yes, and yet I also hear - outside of this forum - that CIC may request explanations why family members chose to apply separately. Looks like there's always a catch to make us wait even longer. Based on some evidence shared here I am finding it more and more difficult not to suspect there is an intent to delay processing by all possible means, be it their way of going on an "Italian strike", or as a measure to prevent newcomers from returning home "too soon".
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 10:53pm
This alludes to the fact that the same facts can have opposite effects in different cases. This is why it is so difficult to extrapolate definitive implications from how an individual case is handled.

The idea that CIC may have questions if members of the same family do not apply together comes from the appendix in CP 5 Residence, as it is one of the factors or risk indicators listed among those relative to assessing declared residency. In fact, it is a little broader than that, and refers to members of the same household.

This does not appear to be on the level one screening list of risk indicators so is probably not a significant factor. I believe there are many, many disparate factors which can have some influence . . . and again, actually some may have a negative influence in one context versus a positive influence in another context. Other than the big, obvious, direct factors (like applying with less than 1095 days actual presence; failing to report a significant amount of time abroad; working abroad since becoming a PR; among others), I believe that it is how all the pieces look and come together, how the details fit into the whole picture. So, when a particular detail fits well into one applicant's story, that can be a positive factor, but that same kind of detail can have negative influence if it does not fit all that well into a different applicant's story.

One thing I used to emphasize a great deal, but lately have been distracted by other issues, is the extent to which IT DEPENDS, so much depending on this or that and the other, and each depending on each other in turn. IT DEPENDS.

Given how, it appears, anything that knocks an application off track seems to really knock the processing timeline off track, way off track (and the regular track is inordinately slow as is), contemplating the capacity to split applications submitted jointly is really no recourse if things go awry (RQ say) for one of the applicants . . . everyone will get bogged down.

Whether to file together or separately is largely something the individual needs to decide based on all the particulars of their situation in conjunction with the particulars of the other person's circumstances.

Same household filing separately may raise questions. But, if the circumstances for the respective applicants entail significant differences, that too may raise questions . . . and, again, if problems (like RQ) affects one, it is likely to seriously delay all.

No simple guidelines that I know about, other than what should be obvious: a couple with children who immigrated to Canada together and have remained in Canada together and for whom one has not traveled abroad significantly more or less than the other, filing together is most likely better. If, though, one has been outside Canada more, one has had work outside Canada, or . . . any significant difference in the underlying facts . . . that pushes the decision more toward filing separately.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
cool_alex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool_alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 9:50am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Whether to file together or separately is largely something the individual needs to decide based on all the particulars of their situation in conjunction with the particulars of the other person's circumstances.

Very true, except it is practically impossible for me to make that call without having understanding of the CIC guidelines and practices. Considering the state of things in their kingdom, my own interpretation of common sense is guaranteed to be different from theirs. One natural thought is to consult a reputable immigration lawyer, can anyone recommend someone?
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 1:33pm
Consulting with a lawyer is a good idea. I do not have any recommendations (I only know one Canadian immigration lawyer personally, and that is based on a brief interactino years ago).

Primary consideration is not that complicated, however: to what extent are the key factors the same, different? (Dates and duration of absences; dates of PR status; residential addresses.) The more the same, the more likely it is better to apply together. The more differences, the more likely it would be to apply separately.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic