Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimex1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help please
    Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 2:03am
This letter refers to your application for permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-law
Partner in Canada class.
In order to continue processing your application in Canada, further information is required. You
must complete/submit the following to the Case Processing Centre:
You did not provide sufficient evidence that you are a common-law partner (cohabitating for a
period of at least one year at time of application). Acceptable documentation includes:
evidence of joint bank, trust, credit union or charge card accounts; jointly signed residential
lease, mortgage or purchase agreement, insurance and/or beneficiary forms. This
documentation must provide evidence dated at least one year prior to the date of your
application, prior to June 27, 2011. You have not submitted any supporting documentation with
a date earlier than October 12, 2011. Other supporting documentation such as statutory
declarations of individuals with personal knowledge that your relationship is genuine and
continuing may be considered. Please do not send any electronic media items, such as CDs,
DVDs, or VHS tapes
The information requested above must be received at this office by April 2, 2013. If these items
are not received, your application for permanent residence may be refused and no further
consideration will be given to your request for permanent residence unless a new application,
including fees, is submitted.
Passports for yourself. 
i dont know what to do now, i need help, it is possible for me to change from common law to married before the date they gave to me.i dont want to be turn down, i only have joint bank account but they are not satisfied with that.hope to hear from you. thanks
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 6:35am
The letter is pretty clear. CIC is not satisfied that you are common law and you have to supply further proof that you have lived together for one full year. If you can't provide more proof - you should expect your application to be refused.

A joint bank account definitely isn't enough. Can't you provide any other proof? Joint lease? Letter from landlord confirming you have been living together for a full year? Joint utility bills? Mail sent to both of you at that address?

I suppose you can try getting married before the deadline. Not sure if this will work since you applied as common law.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 9:47am

I agree with scylla that the letter is clear enough.

What confuses some people, it seems to me, is the distinction between evidence showing the nature and character of the relationship, the genuineness factors, versus the evidence one needs to show that the qualifying relationship existed on the date of applying.

Those applying based on common-law must show the qualified relationship (common-law) existed by showing that they established a mutual household together and cohabitated as a conjugal couple in a shared household for at minimum a full year preceding the date of applying.

Clearly, you need to submit proof of living together between June 27, 2010 and June 27, 2011. (If June 27, 2011 was the date you applied.)

Anything showing your address and anything showing your partner's address, and showing that those were the same, will help. Not enough, but will help.

Then you need some more objective, substantive proof, like bills in both your names. At the least, some bills for same address, some for you, some for your partner.

Obtaining affidavits from other people who know the two of you and who can say how they know you, and that they know you have been living together and how they know that, could really help. Remember: the point is to prove living together as a couple for a full year prior to applying, probably that June 27, 2010 to June 27, 2011 time frame.

Getting Married

The problem is that you must prove you were in a qualified relationship on the date that you applied. If you applied June 27, 2011, what relationship you were in on that date is what ultimately matters.

For purposes of proving the genuineness of the relationship, getting married now will help. That tends to further show the level of commitment and that it is a genuine commitment.

But you still must prove that you were in a qualified relationship on the day you applied. You must prove the existence of the qualified relationship on the day you applied. Getting married after June 27, 2011 will not change whether or not you were in a qualified relationship previously.

Again, this is about keeping in mind the distinction between proving the genuineness of the relationship versus proving the existence of a qualified relationship. Both must be proven.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
nabmeusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nabmeusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 10:02am
Good comments from both. @Depenabill i haven't seen you for a while, i really miss your comment!
Spousal Application sent to mississauga 03/05/2012
Application delivered 04/05/2012
First stage approval 27-07-2012
File transfer Accra 27-07-2012
medical done 29-12-2011
Interview 28-11-2012
dimex1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimex1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 11:37am
thnaks for the answers, my landlord and friends can testified about it and he can write a letter for me, will it have to be notarized, am planning of seeking immigration lawyer to help me out,as u said earlier that i can change common law to married,is my application been delayed now,if i can provide what they want before that date will it fasten my application or not,hope to hear from you
dimex1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimex1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 11:47am
thanks you very much, my friend and my landlord can proof it for, will it have to be notarized,also my girlfriend sister can also write a letter for me that she met me in june 2011 am thinking of getting a immigration lawyer to help me out. my girlfriend is planning to marry before the date giving, but we will do our possible best to provide some letter and evidence. i dont want to be refused hope to hear from you.
scylla View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scylla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 12:15pm
The fact that CIC has requested more information has already delayed your file. Provide CIC with the information they have requested by the deadline provided if you want to avoid further delays.
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010
dimex1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimex1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 11:12am
Hi i will be getting married soon, what are the procedure in canada, am a foriegn student, my spouse is a Canadian citizen,but we are thinking of using justice of peace, how many friends can we invite,am planning just a court wedding, my spouse does not have much friends, about the date i should but my landlord can write a letter and notarized will it help me.
Also am thinking going to see a lawyer about the letter that cic sent me, i have a limit time.hope to hear from you
dimex1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimex1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 11:17am
Hey thanks for your advise, am planning to get married, am a foriegn student while my spouse is a canadian citizen,what are the procedure to get married in canada,but am thinking of using justice of peace or do it in court, but how many friend should I invite, but my spouse do not have any friends, i have a limited time, about the date to be proofing, my landlord can write letter to me and notarized it, because cic sent a letter to me to provide evidence on that date,Would a lawyer be of help in this issues,what happen if i got married?hope to hear from you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic