Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponsorship Medical for cancer patients

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponsorship Medical for cancer patients
    Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 3:14pm
Please, maybee somebody can share their experience. We waited o long, and now my father was diagnosed with cancer, already had surgery and treatment. Our medical forms should come any time and we very scared from rejection. If somebody had the same situation and can let us know what expect. 

Thanks
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 3:36pm
The issue will be what his prognosis is after treatment.  That will depend very much upon what the doctor's say.

The question CIC medical staff will ask is "what is the expected cost over 5 or 10 years" and if the answer is "more than 5x or 10x the average annual cost, he is medically inadmissible."  But they don't just reject you out of hand - they will send you a letter ("fairness letter") describing their concerns.  You can challenge the medical opinion and/or provide a mitigation plan at that point. 

I know a fair amount about medical inadmissibility (having been deemed medically inadmissible) and can answer general questions.

You would best be served to hire one of the small number of attorneys who have real experience in this area.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
alyona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 4:00pm
My mom is in the same situation, had surgery two years ago. Her medical is cheduled for tomorrow. She collected letters from her doctors along with some copies of her recent check-up tests (all were good). We'll see how it goes, keep our fingers crossed. If we get fairness letter than will hire a lawyer.

Edited by alyona - 01 Oct 2012 at 4:03pm
isim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 4:12pm
Thanks a lot, Alyona keep me updated please, Good luck you and your Mom.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by alyona alyona wrote:

My mom is in the same situation, had surgery two years ago. Her medical is cheduled for tomorrow. She collected letters from her doctors along with some copies of her recent check-up tests (all were good). We'll see how it goes, keep our fingers crossed. If we get fairness letter than will hire a lawyer.

The best thing to do is to convince the DMP that there is no issue; if they don't indicate there is a potential concern, then it is unlikely you will get a fairness letter.

If you DO get a fairness letter, it's very important to have a solid response.  One reason is that the better the response, the more likely you are to be successful.  Also, CIC will not tell you about options you might have to mitigate.

For example, if the immigration is to AB or BC, you have the option to opt out of the public funded health care system - but that's not an option in other provinces.  You can point this out to CIC (but they won't point it out to you.)  MB has an option where you can post a bond so that should they incur excess costs, they can recover against the bond.  CIC won't tell you about such a program and indeed the court (in Deol v MCI) stated that CIC has no obligation to do so.

A good response also puts you in a good position should you choose to challenge in Court.  Parental rejections seem to be upheld by the court more often than applicant rejections (for applicant rejections CIC loses more legal cases than they win) but few areas of IRPA are murkier than medical inadmissibility.

Good luck!

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
isim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 9:16pm
Can you please explane me what does it mean "option to opt out of the public funded health care system"? Im not familiar with it,

Thanks a lot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 1:02am
If you review both the BC health care system and the AB health care system, they give individuals the option of NOT being covered by the public funded health care system.  In BC there is a form one fills out and submits to do so.  What this means, however, is that they are responsible for their own health care costs.

That is what I mean by "opt out".

Here is the BC link: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/electoptout.pdf

I recall finding similar information on the AB website as well.  This isn't necessarily the best option, but for someone who already has insurance coverage that offers portability then this is a viable option to at least propose - but only as part of a mitigation plan response to a fairness letter.

alyona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 5:24pm
Thanks for you responce, we are in BC actually so we could use "opt-out" option if we get fairness letter. My parents live in the US so they have Medicare insurance. I beleive it will still be available even if they move, provided they continue to pay the premiums. They will have to go to the US for treatments though, if necessary. Not the best solution, but if thats the last chance for us then we have to use it I guess.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by alyona alyona wrote:

Thanks for you responce, we are in BC actually so we could use "opt-out" option if we get fairness letter. My parents live in the US so they have Medicare insurance. I beleive it will still be available even if they move, provided they continue to pay the premiums. They will have to go to the US for treatments though, if necessary. Not the best solution, but if thats the last chance for us then we have to use it I guess.

If you receive a fairness letter, I would strongly suggest engaging the services of an attorney.  I know this area (medical inadmissibility) rather well and can suggest a few that I know do very well in this area.

Don't actually opt-out unless it's absolutely necessary.  Just make sure you present it to the VO as part of any mitigation plan (my own attorney didn't know about this option, but we used it in the JR application against CIC.)  What I learned is that medical and visa officers don't really know the rules of the provinces all that well.

I hope for your sake you never get to a fairness letter.  Just know that you can fight every step of the way.

Edited by computergeek - 02 Oct 2012 at 8:12pm
isim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 2:24pm
Hi Alyona, how was you mom medical? Thanks a lot or you postings
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic