Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Address on citizenship Application

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Address on citizenship Application
    Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 10:02pm
Hi,

I am preparing my application for citizenship, and looking for some help.

In 6 E. Addresses in last 4 years..
FYI: I have the required no of days and fully qualify to apply.

I have spent 2 months in 2010 and 2011 in my home country during school summer vacations to take my child to spend time with his grand parents...

The question is: Do I need to list the address in my home country for those 60 days in the application or since it was just a vacation and i returned back to Canada can I leave it out..

Thanks for any inputs..

--Andy
Vancan2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 1:27am
Originally posted by andy2012 andy2012 wrote:

Hi,

I am preparing my application for citizenship, and looking for some help.

In 6 E. Addresses in last 4 years..
FYI: I have the required no of days and fully qualify to apply.

I have spent 2 months in 2010 and 2011 in my home country during school summer vacations to take my child to spend time with his grand parents...

The question is: Do I need to list the address in my home country for those 60 days in the application or since it was just a vacation and i returned back to Canada can I leave it out..

Thanks for any inputs..

--Andy

Is it 2 months each visit each year, or 2 months total between 2010 and 2011. Also, did you maintain residence in Canada during those times.

I would say if you have maintained residence in Canada and maintained ties (i.e. active employment but on leave or something similar) you shouldn't have to list as a residence as it was temporary. If indeed you had spent two consecutive months at the same address abroad then I am not sure. I would probably call CIC call centre and ask.

Edited by Vancan2012 - 13 Sep 2012 at 1:27am
andy2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 7:39am
Vancan,

yes it is 2 months each year .Yes I did maintain a residence here in canada, my wife was full time employed . I was a day trader at that time and that was my full time job.. I choose to take my son to visit home during his school holidays and we came back in time for the start of school and have been in canada other than those absences and about 4 two day trips to the US.
Will call CIC...

Thanks

--Andy
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 7:59am

I cannot say how CIC officers approach this sort of thing.

When it comes to deciding precise content to include in forms like this, the individual needs to make a concerted effort to evaluate what the appropriate response is for himself or herself, based on what they understand the instructions require and on what their individual circumstances are.

I do know the application instruction puts emphasis on reporting foreign addresses.

Obviously, you disclose the travel, its nature, its duration and other details in the residency calculation declarations, so to not list the foreign address does not amount to concealing material information.

That said, though, that also means disclosing the foreign address does not reveal anything you are not revealing anyway, and thus there is no reason to not include it.

While, again, I cannot say how CIC approaches these things, I tend to echo what underlies the question raised by Vancan2012, since as we all know, in our PR applications we were required to account for where we were actually living each calendar month, so stays in one location for more than a calendar month ordinarily required disclosure of that address even if we were maintaining our formal place of residence elsewhere and were only boarding at that place for that temporary period of time.

I do not think there is a right answer. Again, I think you need to make a judgment call and decide this for yourself, based on all your circumstances. I doubt that a call to CIC will get you an answer based on your particular situation that you can rely on; their responses are more general than specific.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
nwtspam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwtspam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 2:46am
So you are *travelling* to overseas for 2 months every year. I wouldn't put it down as your residential address because your ordinary home is still in Canada. I assume that you are still paying your Canadian rent/mortgage while *travelling* to other countries. 

Day trader is not an occupation. It is only so with CRA for tax purposes. You are unemployed unless you have paid a business licence to preform the tradings, a highly unlikely scenario.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic