Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When to sponsor pregnant wife

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john.foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to sponsor pregnant wife
    Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 4:17pm
I asked this question before but it got diluted with different answers so I will ask ths again to get fresher results.

I am a PR holder and my wife is pregnant and she does not have PR.  I intend to bring them down to Canada (by sponsoring) only after she has delivered and not before.  In order to do that should I apply now to sponsor her (before she delivers) or after she delivers?  Either way I need to bring them down to Canada as soon as possible.
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 4:20pm
The sooner you apply, the sooner you will be able to bring them to Canada.  However, YOU must be present IN CANADA in order to sponsor (because you are a PR - a Citizen has the option of sponsoring with an intent to return to Canada.)

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
john.foot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john.foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 6:54am
thanks, but if I start this now, then would the typical flow be like this

1.  I submit the application to sponsor my wife now.  Is there anywhere I say that my wife is expecting or do I just dont mention this?

2.  Wait for them to approve, by which time my wife would have delivered.

3.  Once the PR is approved for my wife I inform them that I also have a kid?

Would appreciate any feedback?
MajidS View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MajidS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by john.foot john.foot wrote:

1.  I submit the application to sponsor my wife now.  Is there anywhere I say that my wife is expecting or do I just dont mention this?
YES you mention it; under no circumstances do you even try (my personal opinion) to fail to state this "critical piece" of information. I have had a friend whose entire PR application and that of his wife's and three kids was cancelled because he failed to mention they were expecting a fourth child.

2.  Wait for them to approve, by which time my wife would have delivered.
If, IF, you have a child not included in your application and your wife is already a PR, the only way is to apply all over again to sponsor your child under a NEW PR application (at which time, the obvious question will be raised by CIC on why are they hearing about this now).

3.  Once the PR is approved for my wife I inform them that I also have a kid?
Again, back to question 2, only option then is a brand NEW application for sponsorship.

Would appreciate any feedback?
One point that you may have missed:
If your spouse is pregnant, how is she going to do the medical that requires full x-rays? Doctors do not do x-rays on pregnant women for fear of harm to the child. And the medical is a pre-requisite (a requirement before you submit your application) to the spousal sponsorship. Something for you to think.

Now, here's what I would personally do if I were in your shoes (my PERSONAL opinion, NOT professional):
If I knew the time it takes for a PR is more than 10 months or a year for my wife, I would gather all documents and apply. I would not have her do the entire medical now. I would skip the x-rays, but still do all the other medical required. My application would clearly state to the visa office that we are expecting and that is why I have not included the xrays, but I would be more than happy to have my spouse do full medical after birth and also add the child to the application. I would ask in the application to put my file in queue and that I will update them later this year on the child and mom's medicals. Then I would cross my fingers and hope that the visa office is not fast at processing the application and hopefully will not review my file until the child is born. Worse outcome is the visa office will return your application and ask you to resubmit later this year.

Worse outcome of applying now with no mention of child is double or triple the wait time (3 years or more) if the visa office already issues the PR (this is assuming you go ahead with the dangerous x-rays) to your wife and now processes a NEW application for your child.

Just my 3 cents ...

Edited by MajidS - 05 Jul 2012 at 10:27am
john.foot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john.foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 9:36pm
While the sponsorship application is in process I assume I can apply to get her down here with a Visitor visa?

Plus are there any prerequisites apart from residing in Canada which have to be met in order for me to sponsor my wife, for example a Job.

Edited by john.foot - 09 Jul 2012 at 9:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic