Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extension...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racergurl55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extension...
    Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 1:35pm
Im confused as when we need to apply for an extension...

My husbands multiple entry TRV expires today. But the last time we entered Canada was November 28th 09....Is he in Canada out of status now or since he was admitted (presumably as his pass port was only stamped with the date of entry) for 6 months, we dont need to apply for an extension until 30 days before the 6 month perios is up.

Help! Confused and now stressed!!

Thanks

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 4:15pm
Hi

Originally posted by racergurl55 racergurl55 wrote:

Im confused as when we need to apply for an extension...

My husbands multiple entry TRV expires today. But the last time we entered Canada was November 28th 09....Is he in Canada out of status now or since he was admitted (presumably as his pass port was only stamped with the date of entry) for 6 months, we dont need to apply for an extension until 30 days before the 6 month perios is up.

Help! Confused and now stressed!!

Thanks

If there was no notation under the stamp when he was admitted, then he was admitted for 6 months. Visitors admission and TRVs are 2 separate processes. TRV can only be issued outside Canada.
PMM
racergurl55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racergurl55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 4:46pm
Right...so is he here illegally now that his Multiple entry TR expired today?? or does he become illegal only after the 6 month period that he was admitted for prior to the expiration of the TRV?
jamaisomal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 4:58pm
No. He is not here illegally since he came before the TRV expired. After the 6 mths he would be out of status.
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 5:05pm

Right...so is he here illegally now that his Multiple entry TR expired today?? or does he become illegal only after the 6 month period that he was admitted for prior to the expiration of the TRV?

No he is here legally. Count 6 months after the date stamped when you re-entered. He becomes illegal if he did not leave 6 months after the date stamped, and you did not apply for an extension.

Edited by job_seeker - 22 Dec 2009 at 5:05pm
mod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2009 at 12:44pm
he is legal
racergurl55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racergurl55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 12:21pm
Great THANK YOU!!  OK so now I have another question that I'm hoping someone may have experience with...

On CIC's web site it say's this:

If you leave Canada during your authorized stay, you must get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada.

There are two exceptions: you can visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:

• return within the initial period authorized by the immigration officer or
  • have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.

SO that being said....Can my husband go to the US, even though his multiple entry visa to canada has expired and be allowed to re-enter Canada based on him being admitted until April??

I think I would be way to nervous to try this...BUT if his PR doesnt come thru soon - we would like to try and re-apply for another Multiple Entry TRV and we have to do that OUTSIDE of Canada (NY). We have some very important race we need to attend in DR in March, and the Canadian season starts in April...so it's without the PR of a TRV - we're kinda scr*wed!

Any thoughts?? and THANKS!
jamaisomal View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaisomal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 12:49pm
I think if he leaves without getting a new TRV now, then he would not be able to re-enter. The last time he entered Canada, the TRV was still valid.

Great THANK YOU!!  OK so now I have another question that I'm hoping someone may have experience with...

On CIC's web site it say's this:

If you leave Canada during your authorized stay, you must get a new visitor visa to re-enter Canada.

There are two exceptions: you can visit the United States or <SPAN lang=fr :lang="fr">Saint-Pierre et Miquelon</SPAN> and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:

• return within the initial period authorized by the immigration officer or
  • have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.

SO that being said....Can my husband go to the US, even though his multiple entry visa to canada has expired and be allowed to re-enter Canada based on him being admitted until April??

I think I would be way to nervous to try this...BUT if his PR doesnt come thru soon - we would like to try and re-apply for another Multiple Entry TRV and we have to do that OUTSIDE of Canada (NY). We have some very important race we need to attend in DR in March, and the Canadian season starts in April...so it's without the PR of a TRV - we're kinda scr*wed!

Any thoughts?? and THANKS!
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic