Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do all photocopies need to be certified?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweety-bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do all photocopies need to be certified?
    Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 4:48am
Hi, 

I would like to know if it is necessary to certify ALL photocopies of documents in the application package.  What if it is just photocopies of things that I believe would help prove relationship being genuine but is not requested on the Document checklist? 

Thanks you!  :) 

pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 8:38pm
Hi

Originally posted by tweety-bird tweety-bird wrote:

Hi, 
I would like to know if it is necessary to certify ALL photocopies of documents in the application package.  What if it is just photocopies of things that I believe would help prove relationship being genuine but is not requested on the Document checklist? 
Thanks you!  :) 

Read the checklist it says copy or original about the only things that have to be notarized or certified are translations or the statement of the common law union.
PMM
tweety-bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweety-bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 5:12am
Hi PMM, 

Thank you for answering my question.  From what I read on the document checklist (IMM 5491) and (Appendix A of IMM 3901) it says:

"Send photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise. Do not send your documents in transparency pockets, binders or folders. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals"  

No where in this sentence clarifies that any of the photocopies should be notarized. So.. I am unclear as to where it talked about which photocopies should to be notarized. 

I have photocopy of 

1) Marriage certificate
2) Canadian citizenship cards
3) Passports
4) Birth certificates for our kids
5) Pay stubs 

So.. which of the above needs to be notarized?  Can you be a bit more specific and refer me to the text to the CIC instructions if you find answers to my question because I have read it many times and just couldn't find the answer anywhere. 

Thank you for your help! It's very much appreciated. 

computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 10:28am
None of those need to be notarized.

If any are not in English or French, they must be accompanied by a translation and the translation must be notarized/certified.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
tweety-bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweety-bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 4:25am
Thank you computergeek for making this clear for me.  I am very surprised that none of them need to be notarized..  

So since these documents don't need to be notarized then which document would need it except the translations? Do you know? Or anyone else know?
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 3:18pm
Hi

Originally posted by tweety-bird tweety-bird wrote:

Thank you computergeek for making this clear for me.  I am very surprised that none of them need to be notarized..  
So since these documents don't need to be notarized then which document would need it except the translations? Do you know? Or anyone else know?

Look at the checklist for the office where you are applying. It list all the documents and if they are copies originals or certified/notarized.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic