Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Becoming PR when can you work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ked22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Becoming PR when can you work?
    Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 4:08pm
Hello everyone,

Would be really grateful if someone could please help me! 

Today I was just granted AIP and approved for PR at the same time. Now I want to send off for my open work permit. But I wanted to know is it worth sending the forms and paying the fee, if I will become a PR soon. My local office is Vancouver and their processing times are extremely quick, from receiving PR the landing interview is usually 3 weeks at the moment. I want to work as soon as possible, but it seems the waiting time for an open work permit is 27 days and my interview could be less than that. Although I am unsure at what stage you can actually work, is it after your landing interview? or when you receive your PR card, which I know can take a long time.

Thanks, any advice will be greatly appreciated!

IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 9:28pm
Okay - you can work as soon as you land, however, you cannot get a SIN until after your PR card is received (since you are inland). I know someone who worked for about 7 weeks without a SIN, once she got her SIN - they released her pay
So, yes you can work after landing - you cannot be paid until you have a SIN though

Originally posted by ked22 ked22 wrote:

Hello everyone,

Would be really grateful if someone could please help me! 

Today I was just granted AIP and approved for PR at the same time. Now I want to send off for my open work permit. But I wanted to know is it worth sending the forms and paying the fee, if I will become a PR soon. My local office is Vancouver and their processing times are extremely quick, from receiving PR the landing interview is usually 3 weeks at the moment. I want to work as soon as possible, but it seems the waiting time for an open work permit is 27 days and my interview could be less than that. Although I am unsure at what stage you can actually work, is it after your landing interview? or when you receive your PR card, which I know can take a long time.

Thanks, any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic