Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Additional Family Information form

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimie.mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Additional Family Information form
    Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 12:15am

My husband (my sponsor) received a package from the CIC in Mississauga yesterday saying that the Additional Family Information form is missing and that it must be filled in and signed by every family member whether they are included in the application or not.  That's fine, however looking at this form there is nowhere for each member of the family to sign it?.....So where do they sign??? I'm confused.

Thanks so much.

A
redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 12:39am
They dont sign it, that is wrong. Each family member, mother father brothers and sisters must be listed, but they dont sign anything.

If it was missing from the application then you were being asked to send it in with the family members listed.

If the IO dealing with the case actually asked for family members to sign then really the guy doesnt know his job, but I suspect they were just requesting the form.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 2:44am
Short version:
I am guessing that you have dependants who were (or should have been) identified in IMM 0008 "Application for Permanent Residence in Canada" form), on the second page (referring to "Details of Family Members," and one or more of them is 18 or older . . . in which case each of those dependants 18 or older (whether accompanying you or not) must fill out their own copy of the Additional Family Information form, and sign it.

I am not sure, though, because there is not enough information in your post to be sure what the issue is, which leads to the longer version (I always have a longer version ).

Longer version:

To get a better sense of this, it would help if you could make reference to the specific form and perhaps include the language in the correspondence received from CIC, and say whether there are any dependants of the primary applicant who were (or should have been) identified in the primary applicant's IMM 0008 "Application for Permanent Residence in Canada" form), on the second page (referring to "Details of Family Members."

redeagle is right about the form titled "Additional Family Information," which is information about the applicant's immediate family, including parents, siblings, and children, including half relations as well as step relations, insofar as the primary applicant is involved and submitting this form.

If, however, the primary applicant has dependants who are 18 or older who were required to be identified in the primary applicant's IMM 0008 "Application for Permanent Residence in Canada" form), on the second page (referring to "Details of Family Members," whether they will be accompanying the primary applicant or not, they must fill out their own copy of the "Additional Family Information" (IMM 5406) form, and of course their copy must be signed by them.

So, again, I am guessing that is the issue, but not at all sure because . . . well, because I really cannot discern which form this is really about, which family members, and so on.

Dependants over 18 must also complete (and likewise sign) their own background declaration forms as well.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
aimie.mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimie.mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:23am
The exact wording of the letter is as follows:

This letter refers to the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class you submitted to this office.  The application is being returned to you for the reason(s) specified below.  The following is required:

Documentation Required from Applicant:

As you are sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and/or dependent child(ren), you must submit the sponsorship application together with the complete Application for Permanent Residence Form(s) to this office.  As such the following information is required:

• Completed Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) for the sponsored person and each family member 18 years of age or over.  Please note that the IMM5406 must be completed and signed by each family member 18 years of age and older whether they are accompanying or not accompanying your relative to Canada.

It is the Please note etc that is confusing me, I have no dependants over 18 (I'm only 30! and my son is 9)  and my parents aren't on the IMM 008, so therefore that says to me that I'm the one as the primary applicant that need to fill and sign this form, am I right (as redeagle thinks)?

Thanks Smile

redeagle View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 11:11am
I think the wording is wrong thats all. What it is asking for is that you fill it out, if there are no, lets say siblings, that YOU sign the declaration at the bottom of each section.
"Will this matter a year from now?"
Probably, this is gonna be a one hell of a long journey.
audball View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 12:59pm
Yeah it could just be a partially automated letter and he just changed form numbers or something. Understandable that they don't type up a new letter for every person who gets one.

I would just fill out the form properly and send it off to the IO. 
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:34pm
Somewhat ditto both redeagle and audball, but emphatically ditto audball: "I would just fill out the form properly and send it off . . . "

I doubt that the wording is wrong.

I believe that it is simply general, intended to cover a broad range of applicants in various circumstances. So you simply need to identify what you did wrong or what you failed to include, then fix it and re-submit the package.

It appears that for whatever reason the IMM 5406 form ("Additional Family Information") you submitted with the application was incomplete, unsigned, or had some other obvious problem on its face, or was not included at all.

So, apparently (you and your sponsor need to look at the whole package and assess this for yourselves), you need to complete this form anew and make sure you complete it fully, properly, and accurately.

Unfortunately it sounds like you will need to resubmit the entire application, and so the process will not begin until you have done so.

Not sure, of course, what was wrong with your original 5406 form. Did you identify both your parents, your spouse, your child, your spouse's children (as step-children), all your siblings (including half and step relations?) on that form? Even if deceased, you should put down your parent's information (and N/A for info, like address, which is not applicable given that they are deceased; noting, of course that they are deceased).

The most common omissions in this form seem to be information for the parents or the spouse, or the signature. Another common error is that people fill out this form as if only those to be included in the application are identified. All family members need to be included on this form.

Remember, this particular form is for informational purposes only (relevant to several issues though, like identity, possible motives for MOC, and other issues); this is not the same as the other places in the forms where persons to be included in the application are identified (like in IMM 0008 you obviously give details about your nine year old . . . because whether or not your son will be accompanying you, he must be examined).

If it is not obvious, after thinking through this, what the error was in the original 5406 you submitted, try phoning CIC (your sponsor will have to do this if you are not currently in Canada) and going over the form to see what was missing.

I strongly suspect, though, that if you re-examine the form you should easily see what the problem is, otherwise it would have been a problem not picked up until the application was in the Visa Office rather than being seen in a mere document checklist review at CPC-M . . . in fact, maybe it is as simple as having failed to include the form, or a failure to sign the form. (We ran through our checklists at least four times, to confirm different things . . . once to confirm each form and document was included, then another time specifically checking the signatures, then another scanning the form looking for blanks in which N/A should have been put, and then one more time, again, to check that every form was there . . . tedious yes, but the package was bulky enough we felt we needed to do that sort of quality control like check to make sure everything was properly included.)

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic