Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

730 days not mandatory??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donvalley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 10:59am
Thanks for your replies.

@Zormas: You are right, I heard too...... there are people received citizenship without residing here six months.

I believe CIC is not going to check it, if they were able to verify, they would have done it before hand. Yes, if they found with some criminal traces, yes, they do. Otherwise just forget it as all of these people are living abroad they will never come with any crime records here.

I feel some dead-ends between different govt. dept in sharing data and that is the point verification processes are stuck with.

If they verify later and catch some, don't worry, there are lawyers who master the art of 'jump the ring'.

This is how some people screwed up all good running systems. Clever ones cheat and authorities find it later, more and more restrictions applied. Everyone keep paying the price.

Sent-May 22|E-cas "Rcvd": Nov 16|
In Process: Jan 29 2010
|Transf:Mar 08|
Test:30 Aug Oath: 16 Sep
Donvalley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donvalley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 11:05am
I hope CIC do some thing to speed up the citizenship process, it was 6 month process and now it is 13 months from 2008 onwards.

Sent-May 22|E-cas "Rcvd": Nov 16|
In Process: Jan 29 2010
|Transf:Mar 08|
Test:30 Aug Oath: 16 Sep
zormas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zormas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 8:43pm
I agree with what you said above.
Also,I do think that the citizenship process takes too long!

Final question for you folks and I promise I wont bother you again :)

Feb 2008--Received my PR card in Canada(I was in Canada,working )
November 2008 -- Left Canada for many reasons
April or May 2011--Plan to return to Canada and live there.

My question...will it be a problem since I will be returning after a long gap? even though my PR card is valid till Feb 2013.

Thanks.

Sam
pzb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by zormas zormas wrote:

Feb 2008--Received my PR card in Canada(I was in Canada,working )
November 2008 -- Left Canada for many reasons
April or May 2011--Plan to return to Canada and live there.

My question...will it be a problem since I will be returning after a long gap? even though my PR card is valid till Feb 2013.

The magic number is 730.  Assuming you landed on Feb 1, 2008, you would need 730 days by Feb 1, 2013.  This means one could return in late Jan 2011 without problems, without your previous presence.  As you were in Canada from Feb to Nov, you have at least eight months in Canada, so you should be fine to return in April or May 2011. 

Thanks,
Peter
zormas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zormas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 8:35am
Thank You Peter.....i feeel much better now..hehe.

So if i do get questioned at the airport when i return ...Ill tell them peter said it was OK!! LOL 

Cheers !

Sam
pzb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pzb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 9:12am

So if i do get questioned at the airport when i return ...Ill tell them peter said it was OK!! LOL 

Don't take my word for it.  ENF 23 Section 7.3 (the official CIC/CBSA manual) sets out the rules:

Quote 7.3. Persons who have had permanent resident status less than five years

In these situations, officers should adhere to the following procedure:

1. Calculate the number of days of physical presence in Canada commencing from the
date that the person became a permanent resident.

2. If 730 days remain in the five-year period following the date that the person became a
permanent resident, then that person cannot be found to have failed to comply with
the residency obligation contained in IRPA.

3. If there are fewer than 730 days remaining in the five-year period, count the number of
days remaining and add them to the number of days calculated in step 1; that is, add
them to the number of days of physical presence in Canada as calculated in step 1.
If this resultant number equals or exceeds 730 days, the permanent resident complies with the
residency obligation in IRPA.

zormas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zormas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by pzb pzb wrote:

Don't take my word for it.  ENF 23 Section 7.3 (the official CIC/CBSA manual) sets out the rules:

Quote 7.3. Persons who have had permanent resident status less than five years

In these situations, officers should adhere to the following procedure:

1. Calculate the number of days of physical presence in Canada commencing from the
date that the person became a permanent resident.

2. If 730 days remain in the five-year period following the date that the person became a
permanent resident, then that person cannot be found to have failed to comply with
the residency obligation contained in IRPA.

3. If there are fewer than 730 days remaining in the five-year period, count the number of
days remaining and add them to the number of days calculated in step 1; that is, add
them to the number of days of physical presence in Canada as calculated in step 1.
If this resultant number equals or exceeds 730 days, the permanent resident complies with the
residency obligation in IRPA.

awesome!! thank u so much! 
u guys have given me way more information than those CIC call centers :)!!and not to mention....way quicker... so thanks again!

Cheers Guys!

Sam

mod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 12:49am
its very disappointing condition that citizenship process taking 13 months.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic