Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 730 days in Canada - how do they keep track?????
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

730 days in Canada - how do they keep track?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 730 days in Canada - how do they keep track?????
    Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:42am
Hello,

this question might be a bit dumb. I wonder how they keep track on how many days you spend in Canada for the PR. I came for one month in Canada but had to leave temporarily because i still have a job outside Canada,but nobody seemed to care. I did not meet any officer when leaving, noone stamped my passport or checked my PR card. So how do they know I am gone? And what will they ask when I return???

thanks for shedding some light on this...
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 9:26am
Originally posted by suse suse wrote:

Hello,

this question might be a bit dumb. I wonder how they keep track on how many days you spend in Canada for the PR. I came for one month in Canada but had to leave temporarily because i still have a job outside Canada,but nobody seemed to care. I did not meet any officer when leaving, noone stamped my passport or checked my PR card. So how do they know I am gone? And what will they ask when I return???

thanks for shedding some light on this...

What about when you entered the other country when you went out of Canada? Did you receive a stamp?

Edited by job_seeker - 11 Jan 2010 at 9:27am
suse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 9:35am
no, i live in switzerland and i didn't get any stamp either, they just scan the passport, they put it under some kind of green light...i guess maybe to check if it is fake or not.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 9:53am

no, i live in switzerland and i didn't get any stamp either, they just scan the passport, they put it under some kind of green light...i guess maybe to check if it is fake or not.

Then you would have the burden of proof that you have stayed in Canada for 730 days in 5 years to maintain you PR status.
tanushree.tiku View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanushree.tiku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 5:15am
suse...when they scan ur passport they automatically have all the details of the date of entry and the date of exit....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 9:36am
Originally posted by tanushree.tiku tanushree.tiku wrote:

suse...when they scan ur passport they automatically have all the details of the date of entry and the date of exit....

The country that scanned the passport may have the information but not all countries share information about arrivals and departures. So if a Canadian PR travels frequently outside Canada it is best to keep track of his/her arrivals and departures (boarding passes will help).

Edited by job_seeker - 12 Jan 2010 at 9:39am
suse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 9:44am
my passport was scanned after my arrival in Switzerland and not in Canada.Is it possible that Canada would share all information with all the countries,about all the people entering and leaving??
Zygurn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zygurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 9:46am
Remember too that if the PR works for a Canadian company and he travels frequently because of his employer, then those days still count toward the 730 days needed to keep residence or if the PR is accompanying a Canadian citizen, those days still count; but like someone mentioned, it will be up to you to prove that you have those days, Canada will rate you down if you can't prove them.

Edited by Zygurn - 12 Jan 2010 at 9:47am
suse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 9:54am
so, as i understand, it's a kind of trust thing?? and how can i prove them that i stayed in Canada excatly 730 days?? there is a lot of things that i can do to work around these..i don't think that it is based on trust...i mean, really???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 10:04am

so, as i understand, it's a kind of trust thing?? and how can i prove them that i stayed in Canada excatly 730 days?? there is a lot of things that i can do to work around these..i don't think that it is based on trust...i mean, really???

Keep your boarding passes to and from Canada. It is not based on trust ; it should be based on hard facts. Passport stamps (arrivals in other countries), credit card transactions while in Canada... almost anything with name and date that will show the time you are in Canada. Looks like a lot of paper trail if you will often be out of the country but might be well worth it if keeping your PR status is important and you do travel a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic